Saturday, February 28, 2009

On Reading Montaigne

When reading "Of Books" I was thinking the whole time "Now I know this is the "Father of the Essay" but I've read better"(sorry to all his big time fans). Now I suppose they give him this title not for being the best, but being the first. The story had a LOT of words I couldn't pronounce and many more I was lost in meaning.Context clues did help and I was able to figure them out, but I feel as though it was too late, I had been turned off. When reading "Of a Monstrous Child" I was thinking that this man has a thing for staring off his titles in "Of". I didn't get this essay at all, if you can call it that. If was barely two pages of a description. But to get on a positive note, the language was much better and I was starting to feel hope. But all was lost again on "On Some Verses of Virgil". Yay, he didn't use "Of" is what I first thought. To be honest, I didn't even make it through the story. I did like the first paragraph and the first sentence was one of thew best I thought it the book, "To the extent that useful thoughts are fuller and more solid, they are also more absorbing and more troublesome." Thia statement is so true. I apologize for being so negative, it just must be the mood I am in. I will try to read these again on a better night and see if my opinion changes. I'll let you know....

No comments:

Post a Comment